Metalock Venezuela is a leading company in on-site engineering repairs for all industries within the Caribbean area. Established in 1969, we have decades of experience in mechanical equipment repairs, with the capacity to offer immediate mobilization of our specialized technicians to fulfill all your in situ repair requirements.
Our main service, “The METALOCK® Process”, is the only efficient way to join two pieces of metal through a successful and precise process of sewing and metal integration to repair, in cold, pieces of damaged machinery with cracks, fractures or blasting.
Process of repair of castings
The Metalock process, known as metal stitching, is a unique rapid and permanent method for repairing cracks or for joining pieces of broken cast metal components without welding. Cold casting repairs carried out by Metalock International Association (MIA) members are superior to welding in the case of crack-sensitive metal.
The repairs can take place in otherwise hazardous conditions for welding and cause minimal disruption to operations. Each repair only requires equipment that can be carried by hand and is generally completed in a matter of days and can typically restore the strength of the equipment so that it will continue to operate to full specifications.
Some of the engineering advantages of Metalock process repair:
- • Dampens and absorbs compression stresses.
• Provides a good ‘expansion joint’ for castings such as cylinder liners, cylinder head or
any casings subject to thermal stress.
• Distributes the tension load away from fatigue points.
• Maintains relieved conditions of inherent internal stress where rupture occurred.
• Maintains alignment and original surfaces, since lack of heat produces no distortion.
• The vast majority of repairs can be done in situ, with consequent savings in time, with
little or no dismantling.
• A pressure tight seal can be achieved due to the interlocking between Metalock keys and
Can be performed in-situ, thus major dismantling is not required
- Produces permanent repairs that can be completed in days.
- Does not require hot work, so can be performed in any area of a vessel.
- Can be used to repair cast iron and other metals.
- Cost is almost always less than replacement.
- Is accessible via a worldwide network of especially trained Metalock technicians, through the Metalock International Association.
- Does not require heavy machinery or equipment to carry out repairs.
- Causes minimal disruption to vessel.
- Reduces vessel downtime.
- Engine blocks.
- Cylinder heads.
- Cylinder covers.
- Fly wheels.
The Casting Repair Process
The Metalock process is based on sound engineering principles which have been accepted for over 70 years.
Holes drilled along the line of fracture, tapped and filled with studs.
Holes drilled at right angles to the fracture.
Holes drilled to form shape of Metalock keys.
Layers of keys peened into metal-to-metal condition.
Metalock Casting Repair Diagram
Using a drill jig, rows of blind holes are drilled perpendicular to the direction of the crack, each row to act as a key.
The intermediate partitions are removed with pneumatic chisel.
Metalock keys are driven into the opening and caulked.
Holes for Metalock screws are drilled along the crack between the keys.
The screws are fitted to ensure they overlap, effecting a seal along the fracture.
Finally, the entire installation is caulked to ensure stability and pressure tightness.
We have at our disposal the necessary equipment and technicians to be able to offer on –site machining solutions for crankpins, main bearing journals, flanges amongst others.
No matter what your machining requirements, we can provide the necessary support to meet your objective as soon as possible, avoiding costly downtime. We have a team of specialists who, once your requirements have been evaluated, design and customize solutions.
METHODS OF MACHINING ON SITE
- Line boring.
- Orbital machining.
- Machining of flanges.
Thermo-spraying is a high-tech process for the creation of functional surface coatings with specific materials for specific requirements.
It consists of spraying a metallic or non-metallic melted material, with high speed on the surface to be recovered, thus resizing it to its original dimensions or protecting it against the environment, as the case may be.
Through this process we recover vital pieces of industrial machinery, damaged or worn, surpassing in many cases the original standards of the manufactured piece.
This process is described as the projection of molten material particles against a base material. These particles are fired at speeds higher than sound and embedded in the substrate and between them, thus forming a dense coating, strongly adhered to the base material and with a hardness generally greater than the base material itself.
- Resistance to wear by abrasion, cavitation and/or erosion.
- Resistance to corrosion by aggressive agents, such as: acids, sulfur gases and solvents.
- Dimensional recovery: Recovers original dimensions, where the coating will have the same or better characteristics than the original coating.
- It is a low temperature process that does not exceed 200° C during the deposition of the coating, thus eliminating deformations and changes in the microstructure of the base material, extremely dangerous for the physical integrity of the piece.
- The materials used in thermo-spraying can be applied on surfaces that cannot be welded, either because of their composition or very thin thicknesses.
Our laser alignment service, which can be carried out on site, reduces the expense and time required to perform precision inspections up to half a thousandth of an inch (0.0005 “) tolerance.
- Alignment of rotating equipment with laser precision including turbines, motors,
chains, belts, shafts, amongst others.
- Pre-machining survey.
- Alignment of shafts and bearings
- On-site dynamic balancing of rotors.
STUD EXTRACTION AND PRECISION DRILLING
We have a team prepared to drill and extract broken bolts on site.
- Welding type MIG.
- Welding type TIG.
- Welding with electrodes.
- Housing repair.
- Internal cladding with ceramic tiles.
- Application of epoxy and polymer products.
- Hydrostatic test.
- Reconditioning of vacuum pumps.
- Reconditioning centrifugal horizontal centrifugal pumps.
- Reconditioning of vertical suction pumps.
- Reconditioning of horizontal bipartite pumps.
MARINE AND OFFSHORE
Our trained specialists can travel anywhere within the Caribbean area at short notice. Through our Service Center in Trinidad we can offer a variety of services.
- Metalock Repairs.
- Crankpin machining.
- Journal Machining.
- Laser Aligment.
- Electrical work.
- Surveys and Inspections.
- Specialized Welding Repairs.
- Machine Shop Services and Mechanical Manufacturing.
- Underwater Inspections and Repairs.
Calle Colegio Americano con Calle Victoria, Local 37-24
Las Minas de Baruta, Caracas, Edo Miranda
Código Postal 1080, Venezuela.
Phones: +58-212-944.7153 / 6443
Avenida Zulia N° 6-44, Anaco, Edo. Anzoátegui
Workshop Puerto Cabello:
Calle Municipal N° 3-74, Puerto Cabello, Edo Carabobo
WE ARE REPRESENTATIVES OF THE METALOCK INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR THE FOLLOWING TERRITORIES IN WHICH WE HAVE THE EXCLUSIVITY FOR THE METALOCK PROCESS APPLICATION:
TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
THE REST OF THE CARIBBEAN